Develop the skills required for creating a corset which is fitted and styled to the individual, for either under or outer wear.
You will learn
- Varying uses applicable to corsetry such as ballgown, wedding dress, theatre, costuming, steam-punk, personal wear/attire
- Creating and drafting the original pattern
- Learning how to fit the corset individually to personal shape
- Styling the corset to suit individual requirements
- Constructing the corset from start to finish
- Effectively use boning, eyelets and other items specific to corsetry
- Selecting suitable fabrics to use for a corset
- Learning to apply sewing techniques appropriate to corsetry
We will provide
- Written handouts with visual demonstrations as reinforcement
- Specialist tutor
- Dressmaking equipment supplied by NMIT (sewing machines, iron, ironing board, basic pattern making tools)
Students are expected to provide consumables such as threads, buttons, zips, boning, and all other project required materials (cost depending on their chosen project).